In an old house in Paris that was covered in vines…
no you don’t get it
this was my childhood
Some poor, misguided souls are under the impression that eating vegan can’t be synonymous with eating hearty. We and Hipster Food counter that notion with these…
Serves 2 (Add an extra pack of Westsoy Seitan & extra rolls to serve 4)
This is another weeknight staple that’s simple to prepare: make the sauce, toast the bread, toss Westsoy Seitan in a pan with flavorful vegetables, then eat up.
Cheese Sauce Ingredients:
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
2 cups unsweetened rice milk (or other non-dairy, unsweetened milk)
1 tsp each paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder
1 tbsp spicy mustard
salt & pepper
1 large yellow onion
1 bell pepper
2 cloves medium garlic
1 package Westsoy Seitan Strips
coconut or other cooking oil
oblong Italian rolls
1. Preheat your oven to 350°F. Slice your rolls in half and brush with oil or vegan butter, then set aside.
2. Turn a large sauté pan on medium-high heat. Loosely chop the onion and pepper into bite-size pieces, mince the garlic, and add to the pan along with a spoonful of oil. Let them cook down until the onions are translucent, then turn the heat to medium-low.
3. While the veg is cooking, in a separate pan, whisk together the dry ingredients for the sauce. Turn the heat to low and slowly pour in the milk, stirring as you go. Let that sit on low until ready to serve, whisking/forking every so often to keep it from clumping. If it’s really wet or really clumpy, add or decrease the amount of milk. (After a few minutes of cooking it should resemble a nacho cheese consistency.)
4. Put your bread into the oven, checking on them every 5-7 minutes or so, until the edges are browned.
5. Thinly slice the Westsoy Seitan Strips, then we’re going to char them up so they’re just a bit crispy. Turn the onion pan onto high heat, and a spoonful of oil. Once the pan is very hot, toss in the seitan strips. They should sizzle and start to brown. Let them sit for a minute or two, until browned/blackened on the edges, then stir everything around. Let them brown again on the other side.
6. Serve the hot Seitan & sauce on the toasted rolls. It’s a huge mess but it tastes so good!!
We loveee making these cheezy seitan subs when we’re in need of comfort food, so we were psyched to share them on the @Westsoy tumblr today. Try them out for a quick, amazing meal!
if you’re sad, hug a tree. lay with the grass. talk to the moon. let the sun warm your skin. feel the dirt beneath your feet. appreciate the color of the sky, the smell of the flowers. make love to the earth.